Server and Client Controls

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Jul 14 21:07:48 CEST 2004

Francesco Del Degan wrote:

> I'm interested in using extended controls (simplePagedResults and
> ServerSort in specific) within a search, but i've notice that this is
> notImplemented yet...

Yes, still on TODO list.

> What is state of it?

There's currently no one working on it.

> Will be a next release feature?

If someone jumps on in...

> I've read python-ldap source (i have also a mid knowledge of openldap
> code) and i'm would to contribute to this part.

Well, the question is how to do it. I'd like to model controls (and extended
operations) as Python classes and pass them into the LDAP operation methods.
Note that controls can be passed with any LDAP operation like add, modify
etc. That's what the _ext methods are for.

BTW: The OpenLDAP lib itself provides helper functions for creating these
controle. But I'm not sure whether that's a clean design to use them. Maybe
with a Python wrapper class above them...