Problems with comma inside RDN elements

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Mon Sep 29 20:04:32 CEST 2003

Hi Michael (and whoever else is still listening  ;)

I have something where I am not sure whether the problem is in
python-ldap or in my software. Calls to "search_s" hang when the RDN
element contains a comma (escaped with backslash or not does not make a
difference). Here's a simple test script that I am using against a
server here::

conn = ldap.initialize('ldap://my.ldap.server')
conn.set_option(ldap.VERSION, ldap.VERSION3)
conn.simple_bind_s(ADMIN, PASSWD)
res = conn.search_s(BASE, ldap.SCOPE_SUBTREE, 'member=%s' % MEMBER)
conn.unbind_s()

It works fine for "normal" RDN elements, such as when MEMBER looks like
this::

cn=Jens Vagelpohl,cn=Users,dc=as,dc=zope,dc=com

but it hangs completely with these MEMBERs::

cn=Doe\, John,cn=Users,dc=as,dc=zope,dc=com
cn=Doe, John,cn=Users,dc=as,dc=zope,dc=com

I am working with python-ldap version 2.0.0pre13, running on OS X
10.2.6 against the built-in OpenLDAP libraries (it is not exactly clear
which exact OpenLDAP version these are). This is probably not a
OS-dependent problem because I am coming against it reproducing it for
someone else.

Any pointers welcome - maybe I just need to escape that comma
differently?

jens