License (was: Re: TODO until python-ldap 2.0.0 final release)

Jens Vagelpohl jens at zope.com
Wed Aug 21 13:50:52 CEST 2002

just as a data point (this does not imply i want to follow the same route)
, here at zope corp every contributor to our CVS must sign a document that
allows us to put our ZPL (fully GPL-compatible) license onto anything they
contribute. only after signing will they get CVS access.

since we operate in commercial space doing custom zope applications this is
an absolute "must", and a lot of customer contracts now have clauses to the
effect that they never want to be the target of litigation because of any
licensing issues in the underlying software. so we have to have very tight
control over the license, and basically don't allow anything but
ZPL-licensed software in our repository.

i would suggest that the best way, for sanity's sake, is standardizing on
a single license and trying to contact contributors to get their agreement.
  every single file in the python-ldap package would carry a short blurb at
the top(1) that has the explicit "no warantees" assertion and a pointer to
the main license which is stored in a central file such as LICENSE.txt or
simply LICENSE (ZPL below, just as an example(2)). having a single license
for python-ldap would also make python-ldap "usable" for paranoid companies/
individuals who actually read these licenses.

unfortunately i am not sure what the legal situation is about wanting to
change an existing license on a contribution if the original author cannot
be contacted anymore...

jens

(1) sample we use at zope corp (obviously this would look a tad different
for python-ldap)::

"""
####
#
# Copyright (c) 2001 Zope Corporation and Contributors. All Rights Reserved.
#
# This software is subject to the provisions of the Zope Public License,
# Version 2.0 (ZPL).  A copy of the ZPL should accompany this distribution.
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY AND ALL EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES ARE DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, AGAINST INFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS
# FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
#
####
"""

(2) the ZPL:

"""
Zope Public License (ZPL) Version 2.0

This software is Copyright (c) Zope Corporation (tm) and
Contributors. All rights reserved.

This license has been certified as open source. It has also
been designated as GPL compatible by the Free Software
Foundation (FSF).

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
without modification, are permitted provided that the
following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions in source code must retain the above
    copyright notice, this list of conditions, and the following
    disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
    copyright notice, this list of conditions, and the following
    disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials
    provided with the distribution.

3. The name Zope Corporation (tm) must not be used to
    endorse or promote products derived from this software
    without prior written permission from Zope Corporation.

4. The right to distribute this software or to use it for
    any purpose does not give you the right to use Servicemarks
    (sm) or Trademarks (tm) of Zope Corporation. Use of them is
    covered in a separate agreement (see
    http://www.zope.com/Marks).

5. If any files are modified, you must cause the modified
    files to carry prominent notices stating that you changed
    the files and the date of any change.

Disclaimer

   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY ZOPE CORPORATION ``AS IS''
   AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT
   NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY
   AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN
   NO EVENT SHALL ZOPE CORPORATION OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE
   LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
   EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT
   LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES;
   LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
   HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
   CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
   OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS
   SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH
   DAMAGE.

This software consists of contributions made by Zope
Corporation and many individuals on behalf of Zope
Corporation.  Specific attributions are listed in the
accompanying credits file.
"""