Speed difference, which version to use?

mcicogni at siosistemi.it mcicogni at siosistemi.it
Mon Jun 17 12:18:06 CEST 2002

Michael Ströder <michael at stroeder.com> writes:

> Mauro Cicognini wrote:
> >
> > However, I have seen that the searches don't show significant
> > differences with the old 1.x version.
>
> Can you provide numbers?

Hmmm, not really. It's just my feeling trying to do some simple
searches from the Python command line: I type the instruction, hit
return and '>>>' comes up immediately (i.e. no visibile delay).
I could do some timing, but I don't have the time now to set up the
environment now... sorry about this.

I'd be glad to supply sources and binaries to anyone interested,
though.

> > The single call that takes a lot is the bind step: when I ask a
> Python
> > script to bind it just seems to sit there and wait, more or less
> for 5
> > seconds (strange coincidence).
> >
> > Could all this be related to the SASL libraries?
>
> Hmm, no idea. I guess you are you talking about a simple bind.

Yes, it's a simple bind: username and password.

I guess it's also the only one supported by Win32 without certificates
or the whole Kerberos shebang.

I really hope someone with SASL experience comes to our rescue.

Mauro