Win32 support (was: Strange behavior in Python-LDAP 2.0.0pre04)

Mauro Cicognini mcicogni at siosistemi.it
Wed Jun 5 18:42:59 CEST 2002

Michael Ströder wrote:

> Mauro Cicognini wrote:
> > P.S. This happens because I've finally managed to compile
> > python-ldap under native Windows 32 (no Cygwin)
>
> That's good news!
>
> Can you package some Win32 binaries?
> Maybe we can incorporate the necessary changes if any into python-ldap?

I had to write a new setup.cfg; I don't know if one could just insert a
win32 section in the existing one and make it work automagically. Maybe
so, since setup.py is custom too.

That's not the end of the story, though. I need some help with
distutils, and here's why.

On one hand, the actual LDAP (and LBER) libraries are made static;
moreover, I was able to build them so that they link the correct shared
objects (MSVCRT.DLL, i.e. the same that Python needs).
This way I could fold them into the _ldap shared object (_ldap.pyd) and
not have bizarre runtime errors.

On the other hand, the SASL library gets built as a DLL; I can make it
into a static library, although I don't really know if it would work;
but the real problem is that the LDAP and LBER code looks for SASL
support in a shared object.

I don't have time to delve into this and find out if OpenLDAP could be
tweaked to support a statically linked SASL library, and, besides, the
build procedure is already complex enough (and officially experimental:
your mileage may vary).

So I just put my LIBSASL.DLL into the Windows system directory; it works :-)

However, to replicate this arrangement on other machines I'd have to
tell distutils that a) the binary distribution needs to include
LIBSASL.DLL, too; and b) when installing it, it needs to go somewhere on
the PATH. I have no idea how.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mauro