Why does writing STDOUT affect my Python LDAP performance?

Leif Hedstrom leif at propel.com
Tue Feb 12 18:33:28 CET 2002

Michael Ströder wrote:

>I've added measuring the time to the script itself and can't
>reproduce your results (tested with python2.0, python2.1.1 and
>python2.2). In my case redirecting stdout to /dev/null was faster.
>How did you do time measuring? Maybe somebody screwed up /dev/null
>on your system?

Well, the good news is that I've solved my problem, and it's not related
to Python LDAP at all. :-).

 I wrote a small C-program that also reproduced the same problem. So,
this narrowed it down to a few things: C-compiler, glibc or kernel. I
hadn't touched the first two in quite a while, but I did upgrade the
kernel a week ago... So, I rolled back to 2.4.7 (from 2.4.17), and now
my problem is gone. Don't ask me what happend with the 2.4.17 kernel, I
hadn't noticed any problems or errors at all after the upgrade (RPM from
Rawhide), but something is not good...

The module still leaks memory though, I'll poke at that little later.
Thanks again for the help, so I could narrow things down to the real
problem. :-)

Thanks,

-- Leif