why didn't it work?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Jan 30 23:30:45 CET 2002

Jens Vagelpohl wrote:

> well, i did see all those messages on the list but none of them say
> anything about "import _ldap" being deprecated, and there was no mentioning
> of "there's new code examples, make sure your code follows them. or no one
> ever said "don't use the exisiting docs, they are wrong".

You definitely ignored my requests to test the code. There was no
feedback at all from the people complaining now.

> basically, there was a lot of talk about changes but none about the
> implications for people who use the python-ldap module.

We're talking about the CVS version. If there should still be any
progress possible with python-ldap it should be allowed to change
things. I'm trying my best to preserve backwards compability but off
course it needs testing. If folks are even too lazy to do very
simple tests I can't help. Note that in your case the only fix
needed is to import ldap instead _ldap. This should not be too hard
for you.

> i suppose i could have pored over all the attached code and looked for it.
> .. (my attempt at irony)

Yes, you should have glanced over this code or stay away from using
a developer version.

> don't get me wrong, i appreciate all the work that you're putting into it.

Blah.

>   i only got peeved because people started bitching at me about my products
> no longer working because i had no warning :P  the first thing out of my
> mouth was something like "wow, your python-ldap module must be really f*d
> up..."

Feel free to jump on in and do a better job. It's free software, not
free beer.

Michael.