Stripped LDAPObject.c

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Jan 4 14:54:09 CET 2002

Rich Salz wrote:

> > > Are you positively sure that's impossible to #ifdef the differences?
> >
> > Somewhat.
>
> > You're welcome to jump on in proving the opposite.
>
> It might not be possible to auto-detect, but I would expect something
> like "--with-netscape" for example would work. :)

Yes, that would work. But someone has to be willing to implement
*and* maintain it.

> Anyone thought about doing a pure-python solution?

Yes I already thought about it while working with Jeremy Hylton's
asn1 module. Especially it would be fairly easy to implement a
completely re-entrant module in pure Python. And also more friendly
to Jython people.

But the BER stuff is a major PITA. Also for performance reasons the
BER implementation should be implemented in C. Or a module pair like
StringIO/cStringIO or pickle/cPickle.