Removing __doc__ strings from LDAPObject.c (was: Wrapped ldap_rename..)

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Dec 22 14:47:26 CET 2001

David Leonard wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Michael Ströder typed thusly:
>
> > David Leonard wrote:
> > > looks good... we'll make you a C hacker out of you yet, michael!
> >
> > Definitely not. Heh, you did not see my Python wrapper module for
> > LDAPObject yet. ;-)
> >
> > I really plan to remove all __doc__ strings and *_s()/*_st() methods
> > from LDAPObject.c. Will be *much* shorter and hopefully easier to
> > maintain afterwards.
>
> hmmm...  would be nice to have the doc strings in a separate file - maybe
> autogenerated... but is probably easier to leave them where they are to
> meet the python-ish coding standard (unless that standard has changed?)

The __doc__ strings should be where the methods used by the
applications are. IMHO that's Lib/ldap/ldapobject.py. IMO
applications should not directly import _ldap anymore.

The current __doc__ strings are quite longish anyway. I shortened
some of them, others need an overhaul. E.g. pydoc generates working
web links to RFCs and recognizes URLs => it would be possible to
link to the python-ldap HTML docs and RFCs directly. Hmm,
documentation...