[Python-ideas] Operator as first class citizens -- like in scala -- or yet another new operator?

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed May 29 19:00:41 EDT 2019

Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> The obvious solution to customising assignment is to use a dotted
> target:
>
>     obj.x = value

Another problem with this is that we don't want to customise *all*
assignments. Sometimes we just want a regular Python assignment.
(See my previous post about two different kinds of assignment.)

I think that talking about this in terms of "customising assignment"
is misleading and is causing a lot of confusion.

--
Greg