[Python-ideas] Making code objects filename an absolute path.

Joao S. O. Bueno jsbueno at python.org.br
Fri May 24 15:58:27 EDT 2019

On Fri, 24 May 2019 at 16:49, Batuhan Taskaya <isidentical at gmail.com> wrote:

> > changing this will probably break code
> It is why i'm suggesting making the real transition at 4.0 and adding a
> future flag for now.

It is also not reasonable to suppose that "since python 4 is looming in the
horizon we can schedule a lot
of breaking changes for that".  The incompatible changes that took place
on 2->3 won't happen again.

If the absolute path for __file__ is needed and you can demonstrate it, it
is safer
to create another  property like __abs_file__
(this has happened with __qualname__ for example)