[Python-ideas] New Project to Capture summaries from this

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 13:12:06 EDT 2019

On 28/03/2019 15:25, Richard Whitehead wrote:
> Chris,
>
> As a new member to this list, I can tell you that searching for relevant old
> content was effectively impossible, so I'm all for some way of doing that.
>
> Please can I make a more radical suggestion, though: Drop the mailing list.
> How about a GitHub repo - a specific one (with no code), specifically for
> early ideas? Then, if an idea was accepted and turned into an issue to be
> implemented, it could link back to that original discussion. GitHub is
> easily searchable. It can email you if someone comments on an issue you have
> raised, etc.

Github is more searchable than a mailing list (at least until the
mailing list archives are made searchable), but is not designed for and
is not as good at discussion as a mailing list.  Threads of discussion
and branch and interweave easily on a mailing list, so you don't lose
lines of thought.  That lack is the big failing of forum-style interfaces.

> An alternative might be a StackOverflow section, but that wouldn't provide
> such tight integration in the case of an issue being raised.

I think I'd go so far as "Hell, no!" here.

> The new work you're doing would be a good way to populate the repo with its
> initial content.

Having to do new work would certainly discourage some of the less
technically well-founded ideas.  I don't think that's what you meant,
though :-)

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd