[Python-ideas] AMEND PEP-8 TO DISCOURAGE ALL CAPS

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jan 31 02:53:47 EST 2019

On 1/30/2019 6:41 PM, Abe Dillon wrote:

<see title>

I think continued discussion is pretty useless.  1. Most everything
relevant has been said, likely more than once, and 2. The required
core-developer support does not exist.

PEP 8 was written by Guido with input from other core developers.  As
Chris said, it defines itself in the opening paragraphs as a "guideline"
for the "code in the stdlib".  It also disclaims a straightjacket
approach.

We seldom revise the PEP.  Doing so would require initial support from a
core developer who garnered more more support.  I am not fond of caps
either, but not displeased enough to promote the proposal.  (What I
would like is clarification (from Guido or co-authors) what a 'constant'
means in the context.)

Abe, if an employer imposes PEP 8 on employees, especially in an overly
rigid manner that the PEP discourages, that is an issue between the
employer and employees,  It is not the problem of Guido and other core
developers.

--
Terry Jan Reedy