[Python-ideas] Add list.join() please

Jamesie Pic jpic at yourlabs.org
Wed Jan 30 05:17:34 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 9:21 AM Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> If you don't like the two built-in stringify functions, you can write
> your own, and they still work with for-loops, comprehensions and map().

I don't disagree, after all, there are many NPM packages that contain
really short functions, we could package the function on its own. I
see that the "implode" namespace is not taken on PyPi, so, what do you
suggest it would look like ? from implode import implode ? Or can you
suggest better names ?

> Best of all, we're not even limited to strings. Change your mind and
> want floats instead of strings?

To be user friendly software will need to build proper text output.
And most of the time joining a sequence is the best way to go. But, I
often mistake because switching over from os.path.join and str.join.

--
∞