[Python-ideas] Add support for external annotations in the typing module

Till till.varoquaux at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 16:59:03 EST 2019

Thanks for the feedback Gregory.

You raise a lot of good points; this is going to help me write a clearer
pep.
(0)   Pretty much. They can be used as refinement for more advanced type
checkers (e.g.: for linear types).

(1a) I knew about the postponed evaluation but hadn't read PEP-563 yet. Thx
for the heads up.

(1b) I think you think you meant `Intersection` type rather than `Union`
type. A value of type `Intersection[A, B]` is both of type `A` and of type
`B`. If we had Intersection and allowed to passed arguments decorated with
NoTypeCheck then we good do without `Annotation`. This could be a bit messy
though because you'd probably want to make sure that NoTypeCheck only
appears in `Intersection`.
Another advantage of `Annotated` is that there's a clear "principal" type.
So you can make calls to constructors transparent. e.g.:

  class A:

  A_with_info = Annotated[A, ...]
  A_with_info(5) # create the value A(5)

(2a) and (2b): I don't have any strong feelings when it comes to syntax; I
tried to be consistent with the standard library (and maybe I got it
wrong). My understanding [] is used to create a new type whereas () is used
to create a new value:

  > Deque(range(2))
  deque([0, 1])

  > Deque[int]