[Python-ideas] AMEND PEP-8 TO DISCOURAGE ALL CAPS

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 05:14:47 EST 2019

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 at 00:05, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 at 19:02, Abe Dillon <abedillon at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I keep coming back to this great video about coding style, and one point in particular rings true to me: ALL_CAPS_IS_OBNOXIOUS
>
> I really like the convention. It's nice and clear and absolutely everyone knows what it means.

So do I. And I just looked at the linked video, and notice that it's
originally about Java. There's no obvious reason to me that Java
conventions should transfer to Python. Java has "public static final"
to declare actual constants (yay Java terseness! :-)) and has no
global scope (so the all-caps is at class level, not global).

-1 on this proposal. With all the "style checker" tools out there,
even if it's only an optional suggestion, it'll end up getting
mandated all over the place...

Paul