[Python-ideas] PEP 8 update on line length

Christopher Barker pythonchb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 21:01:08 EST 2019

> saw that today
>
> 80 Characters per Line Is a Standard Worth Sticking to Even Today
> https://dev.to/nickjj/80-characters-per-line-is-a-standard-worth-sticking-to-even-today-26kk

Same arguments made in this thread. I noticed that most of the comments
were from folks disagreeing:-)

Anyway, the only point to have UNH this discussion on this list is to
suggest changes to PEP8.

And clearly there is no consensus to increase the line length in the Style
guide.

So I would like to propose the softening of the language a bit as I
proposed earlier in this thread, and other than that call it done.

Here’s what I wrote:

We could reword:

"""
Some teams strongly prefer a longer line length. For code maintained
exclusively or primarily by a team that can reach agreement on this issue,
it is okay to increase the nominal line length from 80 to 100 characters
(effectively increasing the maximum length to 99 characters), provided that
comments and docstrings are still wrapped at 72 characters.
"""

To be a bit less harsh -- that is, change the clause:

"For code maintained exclusively or primarily by a team that can reach
agreement on this issue, it is okay ..."

To maybe just

"For code maintained  by a team that can reach agreement on this issue, it
is okay ..."

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD