[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Fri Feb 1 12:47:58 EST 2019

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 12:43 PM Adrien Ricocotam <ricocotam at gmail.com>
wrote:

> What I think is bad using mailing list it's the absence of votes. I'd
> often like to just hit a "+1" button for some mails just to say to the
> author I'm with him and I think s.he's ideas are great.

I feel like the strongest virtue of mailing lists is the absence of votes.

Various chat systems where you can add a "thumbs up" or "smile" or the like
encourage laziness and content-free interaction.  On a mailing list, for
the most part, we encourage people to formulate complete opinions supported
by reasons and arguments.  That is what python-ideas should be.  It should
not be a democracy or a voting system.

That said, obviously sometimes people do just reply with +1 to something.
I do that myself at times.  There are times when that really is an
appropriate reply, but I think it should be discouraged as the default
answer style.

Yours, David...