[Python-ideas] Using rightarrow "->" for typing annotation of functions

Ivan Levkivskyi levkivskyi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 16:50:43 EDT 2019

TBH, I don't think it is so bad that it requires a new syntax. But I am not
strongly against it either. What I would like to add here is that if we
will go with the replacement:

Callable[[X, Y], Z] becomes (X, Y) -> Z

then we should also go with

Union[X, Y] becomes X | Y
Tuple[X, Y] becomes (X, Y)
Optional[X] becomes X?
(Intersection[X, Y] when added becomes X & Y)

The current syntax (although really verbose) is consistent, so if we want
to improve it I would like to keep consistency.
Also if we are going forward with this, should we allow mixing old and new
syntax? Will the old syntax be deprecated after we introduce the new one?

--
Ivan