[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where

Alex Walters tritium-list at sdamon.com
Thu Sep 20 12:20:59 EDT 2018

I have zero sympathy for this position.  First, you only need to join the list to propose major changes - everything other type of contribution can be done off list.  Fixing bugs never touches a list at all unless you need to discuss backwards incompatible changes, at which point it goes to the lower volume python-dev list.  Documentation changes are done on the tracker, and trivial changes are done in pull requests.

The firehose of python-ideas is a barrier to entry to suggesting major changes to the language.  This is a GOOD thing.  Major changes need dedicated advocates - if they are unwilling to endure the flood of mail, they are not dedicated enough to the change, and that is an indication of how much they will contribute to actually bring that fruition.  They need a thick skin, since the idea will be folded, spindled and mutilated, usually reducing the change proposed to a single actionable item.  This is what makes python a good language - the road to changing it is incredibly tough.  We should not want to make it easier.

The firehose is a virtue for this list.