[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where

Mikhail V mikhailwas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 12:52:05 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 7:49 AM Franklin? Lee
<leewangzhong+python at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 8:21 PM James Lu <jamtlu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Is that really an issue here? I personally haven't seen threads where
> > > Brett tried to stop an active discussion, but people ignored him and
> > > kept fighting.
> > Not personally with Brett, but I have seen multiple people try to stop the “reword or remove beautiful is better than ugly in Zen of Python.” The discussion was going in circles and evolved into attacking each other’s use of logical fallacies.
>

> Multiple people *without any authority in that forum* tried to stop a
> discussion, and failed. Why would it be any different if it happened
> in a forum? Those same people still wouldn't have the power to lock
> the discussion. They could only try to convince others to stop.

It would be different because some people use private mail addresses, and
might not be very happy to start the day by seeing
political/personal/meta/uninteresting/etc.
discussions in mailbox.

This aspect alone would make _any_ forum-like approach far better than
mailing list.

Mikhail