[Python-ideas] Moving to another forum system where moderation is possible

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp
Tue Sep 18 04:44:49 EDT 2018

Mike Miller writes:

 > A decent mail program can thread discussions and ignore the boring
 > ones.

+100, but realistically, people aren't going to change their MUAs,
especially on handhelds.  The advantage of something like Discourse is
that the server side controls the UX, and that's what people who don't
want to change MUAs usually want.

IMO the problems of these lists are a scale problem -- too many
people, too many posts.  As far as I can see, the only way to "fix" it
is to become less inclusive, at least in terms of numbers.

It's possible that a different technology will allow us to become more
inclusive in terms of diversity at the same time that we become fewer.

Steve