[Python-ideas] Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause

Oleg Broytman phd at phdru.name
Thu Sep 13 17:28:25 EDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 09:06:53PM +0100, Samantha Quan <sammiequan at yandex.com> wrote:
>    It's my understanding that master/slave terminology is now deprecated,
>    because these words carry dark meanings, too, and further alienate folks
>    who feel uncomfortable being reminded of them everywhere. That's the idea
>    of inclusivity: to make other people (usually from marginalized groups)
>    feel welcome and safe. By removing/replacing the word "ugly", we could
>    make one additional step towards being more inclusive.

   I also propose to ban the following technical terms that carry dark
meanings: "abort", "kill" and "execute" (stop the genocide!)
   Not sure about "terminate".

   There are also nationalist jokes about Dutchs. That also must be
stopped!

   Let's decide how to replace them and who'll send pull requests about
what.

Oleg.
    Oleg Broytman            https://phdru.name/            phd at phdru.name