[Python-ideas] Retire or reword the "Beautiful is better than ugly" Zen clause

Jacco van Dorp j.van.dorp at deonet.nl
Thu Sep 13 05:05:53 EDT 2018

-1. The concept of ugly code is everywhere on the internet. Everyone on
this planet has either written ugly code or no code at all. Some have also
written beautiful code.

People aren't code, and code isn't people. I can't see this becoming a
problem until we have an AI that can feel insulted because someone tells it
it's code looks ugly, and that's waaaaay off. Don't conflate code with
people, please.

At the risk of politicizing (which you also took), I'd like to add that
diversity and inclusivity of thought is more important than that of
whatever arbitrary beauty standard.

The Zen is clear and not about people. Don't try to make it to be so.