[Python-ideas] Positional-only parameters

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 01:00:06 EDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 7, 2018 at 12:31 AM Anders Hovmöller <boxed at killingar.net> wrote:

> Yury,
>
> I’m sorry if that came off badly, I was not attempting to be snarky. Text is hard and I know I’m not good in emails but rereading the text below I honestly can’t see why my honest attempt at describing my experience can be considered snarky.
>
> I haven’t sought out to discuss positional only parameters, this is something that has just come up in conversation from time to time over the last few years and this has been the response.
>
> If you would explain how you interpreted my mail in this way I would of course be thankful but I also don’t want to take more of your time.

Sure.  (If you choose to reply to this email please do that off-list.)

IMHO your email lacks substance, uses rather strong words like
"disgust" and "disbelief", and ends with "I don't think that's a good
look for Python :P" phrase that doesn't help you to make any point.
You re-surfaced a pretty old email thread where a number of core
developers explained their position and listed quite a few arguments
for having positional-only arguments.  You, on the other hand, didn't
add a lot to the discussion except your own opinion with no serious
arguments to support it.

Please don't feel discouraged from posting to python-ideas though,
just try to keep a higher signal-to-noise ratio. ;)

Yury