[Python-ideas] TypeHinting: From variable name to type

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Oct 22 09:04:35 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 02:35:40PM +0200, Anders Hovmöller wrote:

> > But the critical point here is that we should not add a language feature
> > to make up for the limitations of a single IDE. If the free version of
> > PyCharm is underpowered, perhaps you ought to try the paid version, or
> > another IDE, or submit a feature request to PyCharm, *before* turning to
> > the Python language.
>
> Which IDE do you use that is so much greater than PyCharm? I would love to try it!

My IDE is Unix. (Technically, Linux.)

https://sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/series/unix-as-ide/

Or just google https://duckduckgo.com/?q=unix+as+an+ide

Although I'm not as hard-core as some (I use an actual GUI editor, not
Vim or Emacs). I'm not opposed to the concept of IDEs as such, my first
two development environments (THINK Pascal, and Hypercard) were IDEs and
they were great, especially considing the limited resources they had
available back in 1988 or so.

But... modern IDEs... I dunno... I don't begrudge you if you like them,
but I don't think they're for me.

> > Of course I do. It isn't an edge-case, it is representative of the vast
> > majority of variable names:
> >
> > - "A single variable name is always the same type" is the edge-case.
>
> I strongly disagree.

Okay.

--
Steve