[Python-ideas] Support parsing stream with `re`

Mon Oct 8 08:25:53 EDT 2018

On 10/8/18 8:11 AM, Ram Rachum wrote:
> " Windows will aggressively fill up your RAM in cases like this
> because after all why not?  There's no use to having memory just
> sitting around unused."
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Is the "why not" sarcastic, as in you're agreeing it's a waste?
> 2. Will this be different on Linux? Which command do I run on Linux to
> verify that the process isn't taking too much RAM?
>

> Thanks,
> Ram.
I would say the 'why not' isn't being sarcastic but pragmatic. (And I
would expect Linux to work similarly). After all if you have a system
with X amount of memory, and total memory demand for the other processes
is 10% of X, what is the issue with letting one process use 80% of X
with memory usages that is easy to clear out if something else wants it.
A read only page that is already backed on the disk is trivial to make
available for another usage.

Memory just sitting idle is the real waste.

--
Richard Damon