[Python-ideas] PEPs: Theory of operation [was: Moving to another forum system ...]

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:56:36 EDT 2018

re: Updating the BDFL-Delegate policy (in PEP 1)

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> - is there a different BDFL-delegate org chart, or would this be the page
>> to add to and refer to?
>>

> re: Documenting the BDFL-Delegate process (in PEP 1?)
>
> I'm just not good with a MUA; Markdown in a linear GH issue is far easier
> to unsubscribe from; so I just added triple quotes:
>
> From "[Python-Dev] Petr Viktorin as BDFL-Delegate for PEP 580":
>
> ""'
> Jeroen Demeyer
> Hello, I would like to propose Petr Viktorin as BDFL-Delegate for PEP 580,
> titled "The C call protocol". He has co-authored several PEPs [...]
> """
>
> """
> INADA Naoki
> 2018年10月3日(水) 21:24 Jeroen Demeyer <J.Demeyer at ugent.be>:
> > > Hello, Really? I don't know process to assign BDFL-delegate without
> BDFL. This PEP is ...
>
> Łukasz Langa
> > My understand is that accepting *any* PEP by anyone is out of the
> question until the governance situation gets resolved. That's the only
> reason why...
> """
>
> """
> On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 2018年10月3日(水) 21:24 Jeroen Demeyer <J.Demeyer at ugent.be>:
> Hello,
>
> >> I am well aware of the current governance issues, but several people
> have mentioned that the BDFL-Delegate process can still continue for
> now.
>
> > Really?
> > I don't know process to assign BDFL-delegate without BDFL.
> """
>
> """
> AFAIU, there is not yet a documented process for BDFL-delegate assignment.
>
> There's this in the devguide; which links to PEP1:
>
> "20.2. PEP Process¶"
> https://devguide.python.org/langchanges/#pep-process
> https://github.com/python/devguide/blob/master/langchanges.rst
>

> And PEP 1:
>
> "PEP 1 -- PEP Purpose and Guidelines"
>   "PEP Workflow"
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-workflow
>   "PEP Editors"
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-editors
>   "PEP Editor Responsibilities & Workflow"
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-editor-
> responsibilities-workflow
>
> https://github.com/python/peps/blob/master/pep-0001.txt
>
> And the devguide has a list of experts:
> https://devguide.python.org/experts/
>

> Maybe PEP1 is the place to list current BDFL-Delegates
> (in addition to in the PEP metadata as in the OT PR:
> python/peps#797
> "PEP 580: Petr Viktorin as BDFL-Delegate"
> )?
>

> Not to bikeshed, but is BDFL-Delegate still the current term because
> that's what's in all the other PEPs' metadata?
> """
>
> Maybe a "delegation" GH Issue label or similar (and a commit prefix) on

'''
On 2018-10-03 17:12, Wes Turner wrote:
> AFAIU, there is not yet a documented process for BDFL-delegate assignment.

PEP 1 says:

"""
However, whenever a new PEP is put forward, any core developer that
believes they are suitably experienced to make the final decision on
that PEP may offer to serve as the BDFL's delegate (or "PEP czar") for
that PEP. If their self-nomination is accepted by the other core
developers and the BDFL, then they will have the authority to approve
(or reject) that PEP.
"""

I know that it says "core developers and the BDFL". However, if the core
developers agree that Petr can become BDFL-Delegate, I don't see why
that wouldn't be possible.
'''

The phrase "core developers and the BDFL"
is where some sort of alternate quorum/majority policy would need to be
specified if this is a contentious issue in practice?

(TBC, I'm +1 on the particular delegation that's not the question here)