[Python-ideas] A real life example of "given"

Peter O'Connor peter.ed.oconnor at gmail.com
Thu May 31 05:38:57 EDT 2018

Well, there need not be any ambiguity if you think of "B given A" as
"execute A before B", and remember that "given" has a lower precedence than
"for" (So [B given A for x in seq] is parsed as [(B given A) for x in seq]

Then

>     retval = [expr(name) given name=something(x) for x in seq]

Is:

    retval = []
    for x in seq:
        name = something(x)
        retval.append(expr(name))

And

    retval = [expr(name, x) for x in seq given name=something]

Is:
    retval = []
    name = something
    for x in seq:
        retval.append(expr(name, x))

But this is probably not a great solution, as it forces you to mentally
unwrap comprehensions in a strange order and remember a non-obvious
precedence rule.

On the plus-side, it lets you initialize generators with in-loop updates
(which cannot as far as I see be done nicely with ":="):

    retval = [expr(name, x) given name=update(name, x) for x in seq given
name=something]

Is:

    retval = []
    name = something
    for x in seq:
        name = update(name, x)
        retval.append(expr(name, x))

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 10:44 AM, Neil Girdhar <mistersheik at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, you're right. That's the ambiguity I mentioned in my last message.
> It's too bad because I want given for expressions and given for
> comprehensions. But if you have both, there's ambiguity and you would at
> least need parentheses:
>
> [(y given y=2*x) for x in range(3)]
>
> That might be fine.
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 4:34 AM Peter O'Connor <peter.ed.oconnor at gmail.com>