[Python-ideas] Modern language design survey for "assign and compare" statements

Brendan Barnwell brenbarn at brenbarn.net
Sat May 19 13:31:41 EDT 2018

On 2018-05-19 06:41, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> TypeScript (2012)
> - a strict superset of Javascript, including assignment expressions
>

> Hack (2014)
> - a (not quite full) superset of PHP, including assignment expressions

	Overall your list is fair, and you're right that more languages could
be considered.  However, you also argued elsewhere in this thread that
Go had an unpythonic design so we shouldn't put too much weight on what
it does.  Given that, I think it's fair to add that, in my opinion,
JavaScript and PHP are abysmally designed languages, so we should put
little weight on any precedent they set.

	What would be nice is to know how much people like these various
languages, and how productive people are with these languages, and then
correlate that with their various features.  However, as discussed on
another thread, getting hard data about such matters is not easy.

--
Brendan Barnwell
"Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no