[Python-ideas] Syntax idea: escaping names to avoid keyword ambiguity

Daniel Moisset dmoisset at machinalis.com
Mon May 14 10:16:28 EDT 2018

On 14 May 2018 at 15:02, Clint Hepner <clint.hepner at gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 2018 May 14 , at 6:47 a, Daniel Moisset <dmoisset at machinalis.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Following up some of the discussions about the problems of adding
> keywords and Guido's proposal of making tokenization context-dependent, I
> wanted to propose an alternate way to go around the problem.
>
> My main objection to what follows is that it doesn't seem to offer any
> benefit over the current practice of appending an underscore (_) to a
> keyword to make it a valid identifier.

There is a key difference: if an optional keyword is added (through a "from
__future__ import some_keyword"), I still can use in a simple ways names
from modules that do not have the future import enabled.

Using just an underscore suffix or similar name *change* is fine when the
language is static. But when the language changes, and I can not modify all
the third party libraries, being able to refer to *the original name*
instead of a modified one is a significant need that can  not be covered by
"just add a _ suffix".

Best,
   D.

--