[Python-ideas] Descouraging the implicit string concatenation

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Mar 14 18:04:29 EDT 2018

Facundo Batista wrote:
> What was proposed and reject was the *removal* of the feature/syntax.
>
> I propose the discouragement of the idiom.

Providing a linter option to catch it would be fine.
Officially discouraging it would be going too far, I think.

It's one thing to promote style guidelines concerning
how to use or not use certain language features. But this
would be telling people they should *never* use an entire
feature -- effectively deprecating it even if there is
no intention to remove it -- for very subjective reasons.

That comes across as excessively moralistic to me. I
object to someone telling me what I should or shouldn't
do in the privacy of my own code.

--
Greg