[Python-ideas] "Exposing" `__min__` and `__max__`

James Edwards jheiv at jheiv.com
Wed Jun 20 08:23:08 EDT 2018

>  Are there any builtins or std library classes that offer their own
min()/max() methods?

My first instinct was heapq[1], since the way to access the min value is
simply heap[0] (and I thought it could benefit from __min__) -- it's almost
the perfect motivating example.  But as it stands, the module uses
functions to operate directly on a standard list, so even if __min__ were
exposed, min(heap) would still iterate over the entire list.

That being said, a heap *class* could take advantage of this, and provide a
semantically consistent optimization.

I'm not sure how many examples will be found in stdlib, as I expect this
optimization to be restricted to specialized container types like heaps,
but I'll keep searching.

[1] https://docs.python.org/3.6/library/heapq.html