[Python-ideas] Trigonometry in degrees

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 08:27:36 EDT 2018

Sym: SymPy, SymEngine, PySym, SymCXX, Diofant

(re: \pi, symbolic computation and trigonometry
instead of surprisingly useful piecewise optimizations)

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 10:09 PM Wes Turner <wes.turner at gmail.com> wrote:

> # Python, NumPy, SymPy, mpmath, sage trigonometric functions
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigonometric_functions
>
> ## Python math module
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/math.html#trigonometric-functions
> - degrees(radians): Float degrees
> - radians(degrees): Float degrees
>
> ## NumPy
>
> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/routines.math.html#trigonometric-functions
> - degrees(radians) : List[float] degrees
> - rad2deg(radians): List[float] degrees
> - radians(degrees) : List[float] radians
> - deg2rad(degrees): List[float] radians
>
> https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.sin.html

# Symbolic computation

> ## SymPy
>
> http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/functions/elementary.html#sympy-functions-elementary-trigonometric
>
> http://docs.sympy.org/latest/modules/functions/elementary.html#trionometric-functions
>
> - sympy.mpmath.degrees(radians): Float degrees
> - sympy.mpmath.radians(degrees): Float radians
>
> - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31072815/cosd-and-sind-with-sympy
>   - cosd, sind
>   -
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/31072815/cosd-and-sind-with-sympy#comment50176770_31072815
>

    > Let x, theta, phi, etc. be Symbols representing quantities in
> radians. Keep a list of these symbols: angles = [x, theta, phi]. Then, at
> the very end, use y.subs([(angle, angle*pi/180) for angle in angles]) to
> change the meaning of the symbols to degrees"

http://docs.sympy.org/latest/tutorial/simplification.html#trigonometric-simplification

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/functions/elementary/trigonometric.py
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/functions/elementary/tests/test_trigonometric.py#
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/simplify/trigsimp.py
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/simplify/tests/test_trigsimp.py
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/integrals/trigonometry.py
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/integrals/tests/test_trigonometry.py

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/utilities/tests/test_wester.py
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/blob/master/sympy/utilities/tests/test_wester.py#L593
(I. Trigonometry)

## Sym
Src: https://github.com/bjodah/sym
PyPI: https://pypi.org/project/sym/
> sym provides a unified wrapper to some symbolic manipulation libraries in
Python. It

## SymEngine
- Src: https://github.com/symengine/symengine
- Src: https://github.com/symengine/symengine.py
- Docs: https://github.com/symengine/symengine/blob/master/doc/design.md
- SymEngine / SymPy compatibility tests:

https://github.com/symengine/symengine.py/blob/master/symengine/tests/test_sympy_compat.py

## Diofant
Src: https://github.com/diofant/diofant
https://diofant.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorial/intro.html
https://diofant.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorial/basics.html#substitution
https://diofant.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorial/simplification.html#trigonometric-functions

from diofant import symbols, pi
x,y,z,_pi = symbols('x y z _pi')
expr =  pi**x # TODO: see diofant/tests/test_wester.py#L511
expr.subs(x, 1e11)
print(operator.sub(
      expr.subs(pi, 3.14),
      expr.subs(pi, 3.14159265)))
assert expr.subs(pi, 3.14) != expr.subs(pi, 3.14159265)
print(expr.subs(pi, 3.14159).evalf(70))

- CAS capability tests:

https://github.com/diofant/diofant/blob/master/diofant/tests/test_wester.py

> """ Tests from Michael Wester's 1999 paper "Review of CAS mathematical
> capabilities".
> http://www.math.unm.edu/~wester/cas/book/Wester.pdf
> See also http://math.unm.edu/~wester/cas_review.html for detailed output
of
> each tested system.
"""

https://github.com/diofant/diofant/blob/79ae584e949a08/diofant/tests/test_wester.py#L511

# I. Trigonometry
> @pytest.mark.xfail
> def test_I1():
>     assert tan(7*pi/10) == -sqrt(1 + 2/sqrt(5))
> @pytest.mark.xfail
> def test_I2():
>     assert sqrt((1 + cos(6))/2) == -cos(3)
> def test_I3():
>     assert cos(n*pi) + sin((4*n - 1)*pi/2) == (-1)**n - 1
> def test_I4():
>     assert cos(pi*cos(n*pi)) + sin(pi/2*cos(n*pi)) == (-1)**n - 1
> @pytest.mark.xfail
> def test_I5():
>     assert sin((n**5/5 + n**4/2 + n**3/3 - n/30) * pi) == 0

diofant.sin.eval() has a number of interesting conditionals in there:
https://github.com/diofant/diofant/blob/master/diofant/functions/elementary/trigonometric.py#L200

The tests for diofant.functions.elementary.trigonometric likely have a
number of helpful tests for implementing methods dealing with pi and
trigonometric identities:
https://github.com/diofant/diofant/blob/master/diofant/functions/elementary/tests/test_trigonometric.py

https://github.com/diofant/diofant/blob/master/diofant/simplify/trigsimp.py
https://github.com/diofant/diofant/blob/master/diofant/simplify/tests/test_trigsimp.py