[Python-ideas] A better (simpler) approach to PEP 505

Stefan Behnel stefan_ml at behnel.de
Mon Jul 23 19:57:05 EDT 2018

David Mertz schrieb am 23.07.2018 um 16:12:
> The need addressed by PEP 505 is real; it's also MUCH more niche and
> uncommon than something that would merit new syntax.  Moreover, the actual
> legitimate purpose served by the PEP 505 syntax is easily served by
> existing Python simply by using a wrapper class.

The discussion so far made it clear to me that

a) there is a use case for this feature, although I never needed it myself
b) throwing new syntax at it is not the right solution

Especially since there seem to be slightly diverging ideas about the exact
details in behaviour. Since this can be done in form of a library, people
should just drop it into a couple of competing libraries and let users
choose what they like better in their specific situation. And since we
already have a PEP now, let's continue to use it as a basis for discussion
about how these libraries should best behave in general and what mistakes
they should avoid.

Stefan