[Python-ideas] PEP 505: None-aware operators

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sun Jul 22 17:38:52 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018, 4:56 PM Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> It means people place crazily high demands on new proposals.

I think the bar has been much too low for introducing new features over the
last 5 years or so. Internal changes like the new dictionary implementation
are fine, but user-facing changes should be exceedingly rare in the base
language. This proposal doesn't come remotely close to such a good standard.

I was consistently +0 on the 572 idea, as long as its worst excesses were
trimmed, as in the final PEP. But after reading this discussion, I almost
reconsider that opinion since its social effect seems to be a move towards
accepting wild and unnecessary changes that "might be useful" for a few
unusual programming patterns.

Honestly, if you want Perl, and as many different ways to approach each
problem as there are programmers (each with their own syntax niche), that
language continues to be fully working. I'm not even writing that to be
dismissive... There are actually some pretty and interesting ideas over
there. But I very much want Python not to be like that, and to do most of
my work in a readable language with as few special characters/signils as
feasible.