[Python-ideas] .then execution of actions following a future's completion

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 26 01:07:09 EST 2018

I really don't want to distract Yury with this. Let's consider this (or
something that addresses the same need) for 3.8.

To be clear this is meant as a feature for concurrent.futures.Future, not
for asyncio.Future. (It's a bit confusing since you also change asyncio.)

Also to be honest I don't understand the use case *or* the semantics very
well. You have some explaining to do...

(Also, full links: https://bugs.python.org/issue32672;
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/5335)

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 8:38 PM, Daniel Collins <dancollins34 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> So, first time posting here. I’ve been bothered for a while about the lack
> of the ability to chain futures in python, such that the next future will
> execute upon the first’s completion.  So I submitted a pr to do this.  This
> would add the .then(self, fn) method to concurrent.futures.Future.
> Thoughts?
>
> -dancollins34
>
> Github PR #5335
> bugs.python.org issue #32672