[Python-ideas] Windows Best Fit Encodings

Steve Dower steve.dower at python.org
Sat Jan 20 02:01:34 EST 2018

On 20Jan2018 0518, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> do you know of a definite resource for Windows code pages
> on MSDN or another official MS website ?

I don't know of anything sorry, and my quick search didn't turn up
anything public. But I can at least confirm that the internal table for
cp1252 has the same undefined characters as on unicode.org, so
presumably if MultiByteToWideChar is mapping those to "best fit"
characters it's only because the flag has been passed. As far as I can
tell, Microsoft has not been secretly redefining any encodings.

Cheers,
Steve