[Python-ideas] Official site-packages/test directory

Stefan Krah stefan at bytereef.org
Fri Jan 19 13:19:56 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 05:30:43PM +0000, Paul Moore wrote:
[cut]
> I'd think that the idea of a site-packages/stest directory would need
> a much more compelling use case to justify it.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!  It sounds that there's much more work
involved than I thought, so it's probably better to drop this proposal.

> PS There's nothing stopping a (distribution) package FOO from
> installing (Python) packages foo and foo-tests. It's not common, and
> probably violates people's expectations, but it's not *illegal* (the
> setuptools distribution installs pkg_resources as well as setuptools,
> for a well-known example). So in theory, if people wanted this enough,
> they could have implemented it right now, without needing any change
> to Python or the packaging ecosystem.

If people don't come with pitchforks, that's a good solution. I suspected
that people would complain both if foo-tests were installed automatically
like pkg_resources but also if foo-tests were a separate optional package
(too much hassle).

Stefan Krah