[Python-ideas] Add an UML class diagram to the collections.abc module documentation

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 1 17:50:16 EST 2018

On 1/1/2018 3:39 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
> While I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish, Yahya, one thing I
> would like to say is if we were to accept the diagram into the docs I
> would prefer that there be a source file that isn't an image which we
> can update with easily available software (e.g. like a dot file).

'dot file' was new to me.  It is the input format for the dot tool of
the open-source graphviz package, with binaries available for Windows,
Mac, and various *nixes.  After looking at
http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/media/uml-diagrams-using-graphviz-dot.php
and seeing how easy to edit the examples are, I would require a text
source file unless the result were somehow bad.  Yahya, how did *you*
produce your example?

> Otherwise updating the file will either be burdensome going forward or
> we will simply have to drop the image at the first instance of needing
> to update it because no one can or be willing to put in the effort (and
> I'm thinking in 5 years, not soon while we can count on you to help).

The ABCs seem to change a bit with every version.

--
Terry Jan Reedy