[Python-ideas] Possible Enhancement to py Launcher - set default

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 09:47:57 EST 2018

There are a few different points here:

1. There's no relationship between pip and the py launcher - they are
separate tools/projects. Any co-operation in terms of file locations
would have to be a result of common standards. Those would normally be
platform standards, not Python ones.
2. On Windows, pip.ini is in $env:APPDATA\pip, not ~/pip. Are you
confusing Windows and Unix conventions?
3. $env:APPDATA and $env:LOCALAPPDATA have different functions, and
the choice between the two needs to be made on a case by case basis.
However, the difference between the two is subtle, and frankly is
probably lost on Unix developers. So which gets used is somewhat
random, in practice. But it does matter, in certain environments. I
*think* the different usages here are correct (although on the systems
I work on, the distinction doesn't matter in practice so I can't
confirm that).
4. Python projects tend to actually be *better* at following Windows
platform conventions than other applications (which often use the Unix
convention of putting stuff under ~) in my experience. What looks like
inconsistency is sometimes (not in the case of py vs pip, admittedly)
just people transferring expectations from one platform to another (or
worse, transferring expectations from Unix programs naively ported to
Windows over to other Windows programs).
5. Windows history for "where you should store your application
config" is a mess - inconsistencies, changes in recommendations, and
use cases not catered for, abound. So even in the ideal situation,
what is right now was probably wrong 5 years ago. And will likely be
wrong 5 years from now (although we can hope...)

But +1 on a world where config data all gets stored consistently. Oh,
and can I have a pony? :-)

Paul