[Python-ideas] Why shouldn't Python be better at implementing Domain Specific Languages?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Aug 31 12:03:08 EDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 11:39:16AM -0400, James Lu wrote:

> We should all take a look at Ruby Blocks and think about how Python
> could benefit from something similar.

You are not the first person to suggest Ruby-like anonymous blocks or
multi-statement lambdas.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=python-ideas+ruby+blocks

Its not enough to just think about the benefits. We also need to think
about the costs, the disadvantages, the possible syntax, and how well it
fits into the existing language.

If anyone has some new and interesting ideas, that would be fantastic.
But if we're just going to rehash the same rejected ideas again, please
don't. Python is 20+ years old and the idea of multi-statement anonymous
functions has been discussed since before Ruby even existed.

--
Steve