[Python-ideas] Why shouldn't Python be better at implementing Domain Specific Languages?

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Fri Aug 31 00:23:11 EDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 31, 2018, 12:08 AM Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:

> Hm. YAML is indeed a great, readable alternative to JSON or XML. But the
> term DSL implies (to me) more than just nested key-value pairs. (Though who
> knows maybe that's all Keras needs, and then it's a poor argument for
> having a DSL.)

Keras is deliberately very declarative in defining models. So indeed
sequences and mappings and scalars is everything it needs. Maybe I'll
actually implement the idea I sketch out in a small independent library.

Then again maybe I'm confusing DSL (which appears to be a Rubyism) with
> "little language": http://wiki.c2.com/?LittleLanguage

I'm pretty sure I heard "DSL" before Ruby existed. Definitely before Ruby
entered my consciousness as another neat language.  I don't really care
whether a DSL needs to be Turing complete, but I think many such are used
primary declaratively. Mostly though I was pointing out that Keras doesn't
need flow and branching for it's model definitions.