[Python-ideas] Python-ideas Digest, Vol 141, Issue 145

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 08:33:02 EDT 2018

On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 13:26, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> [steve at ando ~]$ pip install numpy
> Collecting numpy
> /usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/_vendor/requests/packages/urllib3/util/ssl_.py:315:
> SNIMissingWarning: An HTTPS request has been made, but the SNI (Subject
> Name Indication) extension to TLS is not available on this platform.
> This may cause the server to present an incorrect TLS certificate, which
> can cause validation failures. For more information, see
> https://urllib3.readthedocs.org/en/latest/security.html#snimissingwarning.
>   SNIMissingWarning
>   Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/numpy/: There was a
> problem confirming the ssl certificate: [SSL:
> TLSV1_ALERT_PROTOCOL_VERSION] tlsv1 alert protocol version (_ssl.c:645)
> - skipping
>   Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement numpy (from
> versions: )
> No matching distribution found for numpy
>

> I'm sure pip is great, but honestly I've never been able to get it to
> work reliably, ever, on four different machines using four different
> Linux distros.

>From the "For more information" link above, that seems to be related
to your SSL support. The link says it happens with Python older than
2.7.9, but you seem to be getting a Python 3.5 site-packages. Did you
build Python yourself? Maybe you have an old version of openssl
somewhere.

I've not seen this sort of error come up commonly, so I suspect
there's something particular to how you have your environment(s) set
up.

However...

> In any case, the answer "just use Numpy" isn't really relevant to the
> question about adding new syntax.

Indeed. And nor is discussion about pip issues, so I'll leave it
there. If you want help getting pip to work, I'd suggest raising an
issue on the pip tracker.

Paul.