[Python-ideas] A GUI for beginners and experts alike

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 17:15:28 EDT 2018

Hi Mike

Thank you for your prompt response. You wrote

> Maybe we're on different planes?
>
> I'm talking about 5 lines of Python code to get a custom layout GUI on
the screen:

> import PySimpleGUI as sg
>
> form = sg.FlexForm('Simple data entry form')  # begin with a blank form
>
> layout = [
>           [sg.Text('Please enter your Name, Address, Phone')],
>           [sg.Text('Name', size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText('1', key='name')],
>           [sg.Text('Address', size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText('2',
key='address')],
>           [sg.Text('Phone', size=(15, 1)), sg.InputText('3',
key='phone')],
>           [sg.Submit(), sg.Cancel()]
>          ]
>
> button, values = form.LayoutAndRead(layout)

The execution of this code, depends on PySimpleGUI, which in turn depends
on tkinter, which is in turn a thin layer on top of Tcl/Tk. And Tcl/Tk
provides the GUI layer.
(See https://docs.python.org/3/library/tk.html.)

I'm suggest that sometimes it may be better to use HTML5 to provide the GUI
layer. I pointed to Elm, to show how powerful HTML5 has become.

Put another way, I'm suggesting that instead of
> import PySimpleGUI as sg

we are able to use
> import HtmlSimpleGUI as sg

for a module HtmlSimpleGUI that, sadly, hasn't been written yet!

However, mine is just one voice, and I have little more to say. If you
don't mind, I'll leave this conversation now.

with best regards

Jonathan