[Python-ideas] A GUI for beginners and experts alike

Jonathan Fine jfine2358 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 16:14:25 EDT 2018

Hi Mike

Thank you for your message. I agree, in broad terms, with your
statement of goals, and welcome their being discussed here. Python has
important roots are in education. We benefit from taking care of them.

Here is what I take to be your statement of goals.

> While the Python language is awesomely compact, the GUI code is far from
> compact.  Tkinter will create a nice looking GUI, but you’ve got to be
> skilled to use it.  A student in their first week of Python programming is
> not going to be working with tkinter.

My preferred approach to solve this problem is to use a web browser as
the GUI platform, and communicate with it using a simple local server.

I've been learning about http://elm-lang.org/. It impresses me. Here's
some URLs.

http://elm-lang.org/
https://guide.elm-lang.org/
https://ellie-app.com/37gXN5G4T2sa1
http://elm-lang.org/blog/time-travel-made-easy

However, I don't want to have this thread turn into a discussion of
elm. Rather, I'm putting forward using HTML5 in a browser as the GUI
platform, rather than tkinter. And elm is one of several examples we
can learn from.

Thank you for your work on PySimpleGUI, and for your statement of goals.

with best regards

Jonathan