[Python-ideas] Off topic: 'strike a balance' - second language English

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Aug 20 23:37:09 EDT 2018

On 8/20/2018 5:13 PM, Barry Scott wrote:

>> On 20 Aug 2018, at 17:07, Chris Barker via Python-ideas
>> <python-ideas at python.org
>> <mailto:python-ideas at python.org>> wrote:

>>     It is interesting that you picked up on "strike a balance" which has
>>     been a standard English phrase for a very long time rather than
>>     the much
>>     more resent, (and itself a form of jargon), "dumbing down".
>>
>>     The other point is that the use of Jargon is often as a form of
>>     shorthand so as to avoid excessive verbosity, (or long windedness).
>>

>> We are (maybe) mingling two issues here --  there is an important
>> distinction between idiomatic expressions ("striking a balance",
>> "dumbing down") and technical terms (jargon).
>>
>> If you want to make it easier for non-native english speakers to
>> understand -- minimal use of idiomatic expressions is a good idea.
>> They really don't serve much real purpose, other than making the prose
>> more colorful and friendly (to those that understand it). Sometimes a
>> bit of brevity is gained, but not much.
>
> The technical writing course I went on as an engineer years ago
> recommenced "Controlled English" in documentation.
> Its good for none english speakers and the lack of colloquial expression
> means English speaks are not miss lead.
>
> As you say this is nothing to do with jargon.
>

>> Technical jargon, on the other hand, can be very helpful for precision
>> and compactness.
>
> It also means you will understand other people doing the same activity.
> Be they musicians or programmers.
>

>> (side note -- are all domain-specific technical term "jargon"? I tend
>> to see "jargon" as having a negative connotation -- specifically that
>> it isn't required for technical specificity. That is, "jargon" is
>> language that is unnecessarily domain specific)
>
> I found this definition:
>
> "J/argon/. A special language belonging exclusively to a group, often a
> profession. Engineers, lawyers, doctors, tax analysts, and the like all
> use /jargon/ to exchange complex information efficiently.
> /Jargon/ is often unintelligible to those outside the group that uses it."

To me, 'jargon' refers more to in-group replacements for common words
(slang) than to technical terms.  'Hack the bug' for 'Fix the program
error' is an example of the former.  'Use a coroutine' uses a technical
term that needs several sentences and some preliminary knowledge about
functions to explain.

In any case, docs should avoid slangy jargon and explain technical terms.

--
Terry Jan Reedy