[Python-ideas] Jump to function as an an alternative to call function

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 18:36:07 EDT 2018

Is "Ban" a class of morphemes or just a single morpheme? I would think
subclasses of Morpheme would be "Bound" and "Unbound" then there might be
subclasses of Bound and so on.

[Jacob Solinsky]

> now I understand that the best way to do that would just be to macro
> expand an often repeated segment of code.

This is also referred to as "functional decomposition" (if I understand you
correctly).

You can usually write a method as a sequence of steps you need to take,
then implement those steps in re-usable helper functions with descriptive
names.

My guess is that you'd want the morpheme class to be fairly simple and
leave a bunch of the joining logic to the Verb. I would make a morpheme
object's "morph" method take in some context (perhaps previous and next
morpheme and stress or something) and output a morphed version of the
morpheme without changing any internal state. That way, the "ban" morpheme
is always the "ban" morpheme no matter what.

It might also be easier to use dictionaries to look up morphemes based on
tense and other context. There are a lot of ways that data-structures and
coding practices can clean up code.