[Python-ideas] Pre-conditions and post-conditions

Marko Ristin-Kaufmann marko.ristin at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 02:06:38 EDT 2018

Hi,

I would be very interested to bring design-by-contract into python 3. I
find design-by-contract particularly interesting and indispensable for
larger projects and automatic generation of unit tests.

I looked at some of the packages found on pypi and also we rolled our own
solution (https://github.com/Parquery/icontract/). I also looked into
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0316/.

However, all the current solutions seem quite clunky to me. The decorators
involve an unnecessary computational overhead and the implementation of
icontract became quite tricky once we wanted to get the default values of
the decorated function.

Could somebody update me on the state of the discussion on this matter?

I'm very grateful for any feedback on this!