[Python-ideas] With expressions

Thomas Nyberg ml+python-ideas at thomasnyberg.com
Thu Aug 2 07:41:18 EDT 2018

On 08/02/2018 12:43 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> I'm not sure I see why you think it wouldn't - opening and closing the
> file is a purely internal detail of the function. In any case, you
> don't get given a file object, so how could anything *other* than the
> read_text() close the file? So you're basically asking "does
> Path.read_text() have a bug that causes it to leak a filehandle?" to
> which my answer would be "I assume not, until someone demonstrates
> such a bug".

To me the following look the same:

	Path('file').read_text()
	open('file').read()

The first presumably creates a Path object while the second creates a
file object. Why should I assume that the Path object closes the
underlying file object after the method is called? I mean maybe my
assumption is bad, but I doubt I'd be the only one making it given how
open() works and that it looks similar superficially.

Cheers,
Thomas